OneBeat Virtual Gallery
July – September, 2022
Over the course of 8 weeks, OneBeat Virtual brought together 35 Fellows from around the globe to a shared online space where they experimented with new forms of virtual collaboration, wrote and produced new works, and created a series of interactive sites for the public.
This year the Onebeat Virtual Residency embraced a stream of questions based on online participation, trust, virtual communication, and shared values to explore the boundaries of what an online community of artists can be. This space shares the creative output from our Fellows’ photos and artwork, collaborative Labs led by OneBeat staff, and our online game Telephenisis. Unmute artistic directed by OneBeat alums Luisa Puterman and Sanaya Ardeshir.
A collection of music made by the OneBeat Virtual Fellows. Recorded during the OneBeat Virtual #3 Fellowship.
Mixed + Mastered by Christopher Botta
- Addis Ababa – Tewdros Fantahun Ejigu (samples), Stacy Busch (vocals)
- Ascent – Gabi Motuba (vocals) and Kateryna Kostrova (electronics)
- Auxiliarie De Vie – Gorbi (electronics)
- BIODATA – Parshuraavan (MC), Andrew Ryan (bass)
- Blockchain – David Adan (electronics)
- Moscow – Anton Maskeliade (vocals) and Stacy Busch (production)
- Body – IV (production)
- Carta I – Tatiana Lopez (voice & sicu), Muhammed Dawjee (narrative), keyboard Improvisation samples taken from “Penumbras” by Sandro
- Carta II – Tatiana Lopez (voice, tube with tongue, bells, electric guitar samples, synthesizer & percussion), Muhammed Dawjee (field recorded samples, piano & tenor saxophone)
- Carta III – Tatiana Lopez (voice, musical box, sicu, synthesizer, percussion) and Muhammad Dawjee (voice)
- Carta IV – Tatiana Lopez (voice, musical box, sicu, synthesizer, percussion) and Muhammad Dawjee (voice)
- Carta V – Tatiana Lopez (voice), Muhammed Dawjee (field recorded samples, piano & tenor saxophone)
- Carta VI – Tatiana Lopez (voice), Muhammad Dawjee (vocals, field recorded samples of bottles, wine glasses, wine and a public park, electric bass & soprano saxophone)
- Cyberwarfare – David Adan (electronics)
- Diva – Summer Krinsky (vocals & electronics), QTBeast (electronics)
- Don’t Feed The Boas – Gorbi (production). Samples taken from OneBeat Virtual 3 Fellows’ Instagrams.
- Enba – Sruti Sarathy (carnatic violin), IV (production)
- Everything – Torrey Gray (piano & vocals), Gorbi (electronics)
- Failure Freedom – Torrey Gray (production), Hrituparna Devmoni (vocals), Victoria Yam (vocals)
- Every Cloud – A.yoni Jeffries (vocals), Muhammad Dawjee (tenor, soprano & baritone saxophones)
- Kafka’s Labrynth – Ercan Bektas Ulger (electronics), Dionysius Arya Nataraja (electronics)
- Lunares Lunáticos – Tatiana Lopez (vocals, chajchas & alma pinkillo), Marina Afares (keys). Samples taken from Walata Grande and Bandlab.
- Malele – Orakle Ngoy (lead vocals), Gabi Motuba (backing vocals), Lucy Little (violin), Theo Nugraha (percussion), Paulo Sartori (electric guitars). Featuring Pathy Masiapa and Production by DJ Porté
- Mountains – Summer Krinsky (vocals, guitar, synthesizers & beats), Ivona Eterović (beats, backing vocals & electronics)
- New Delhi – Stacy Busch (vocals), Bawari Basanti (mandolin & vocals)
- Order and Chaos – Gorbi (electronics), Marina Afares (vocals)
- Drink the water – Anton Maskeliade (electronics)
- Sitting in Berghain – David Adan (production). Vocal samples taken from Sibo, Gorbi, Summer Krinsky, Chris Marianetti and Kateryna Kostrova.
- million scarlet roses – Sohib Kurbanov (Kashkar rubab)
- The Unstolen Bride – Sohib Kurbanov (Kashkar rubab)
- dream of the future – Sohib Kurbanov (Goden Oud)
- flower tulip – Sohib Kurbanov (oud), Stacy Busch (vocals)
- Te Quiero – Lando Lavarra (percussion), Marina Afares (vocals)
- Tetangga – Theo Nugraha (field recordings)
- Traffic – Theo Nugraha (field recordings & effects) and Tuce Alba (field recordings & effects)
- Traveling – Stacy Busch (vocals), Lando Lavarra (production)
- Vacut – Gabi Matuba (vocals), Orakle Ngoy (vocals), Lucy Little (violin), Theo Nugraha (noises), Paulo Sartori (electric guitars)
- We Are Gorbi – Gorbi (electronics)
- Who Are You? – Torrey Gray (piano, vocals), Sibo (vocals)
- World View – Goodluck Babatunde Olorunjedalo (guitar), Lucy Little (violin). Vocal samples from OneBeat Virtual 3 Fellows.
- Degendegen – David Adan (production). Samples from Sibo, Chris Marianetti, Kateryna Kostrova, Gorbi, Summer Krinsky, and David Adan.
A collection of images created by the fellows during the Unmuted virtual residency. Given several prompts by photographer Alexia Webster, fellows were invited to show us a glimpse of both the world that has shaped them into who they are and their subconscious worlds through a portrait of themselves in their night time dream worlds.
CHANTS FROM THE FOLK OF A PLACE
1B Virtual Lab
To collect the threads of memories among us, the multifaceted ‘folk’ of this virtual territory at this time, is a way to untangle our ideas from our individual limitations, affirm community, taste difference and celebrate ancestry through the hyperlinking clouds of the web. Here you will find fragments and traces of surviving sound, image and language, (re)assembled to (re)imagine the chants and stories that differ and bond each and all of us. “May our words have the strength of a mirror for those who’ve lost memory to see themselves.
Artists: Gabi Motuba, Theo Nugraha, Lucy Little, Orakle NGOY
Collage & Artwork by Jherlandya Ferreira
Lab designed and led by Paulo Sartori
I AM SITTING IN A ZOOM
1B Virtual Lab
The lab invites Fellows to explore degenerative processes in all forms. Degeneration can result from countless acoustic and digital phenomena like feedback loops, tape decay, compression, but also witnessed in things like memory, machine failure, and dreams. While these processes involve the degradation or destruction of something, they also open up new worlds of form and sound. As the group explored degenerative process sonically, they also looked to the Zoom space itself as a deconstruction tool. How can a zoom call become more than just a communication space? Can it be a creation space ? To answer these questions and offer tools for others to explore, the lab created a How To Manual.
Artists: Gorbi, Sibo, Kateryna Kostrova, Summer Krinsky, David Josue Adan
Lab designed and led by: Christopher Marianetti
FEEDBACK LOOPING THROUGH THE COSMOS
1B Virtual Lab
Our sheer existence in the physical and virtual world always leaves a trace. Whether it’s our memories in a cloud or our carbon footprint on the earth, we are wired to create some kind of positive or negative feedback loop. In this lab, we collaborated with AI tools to create musical and visual ecosystems inspired by the Cosmos.
Artists: Eduardo Pininga, Tuce Alba, Lav Kovač, Sruti Sarathy, Hisham Atta’allah
Lab designed and led by: Umlilo
LANGUAGES OF FAILURE FREEDOM
1B Virtual Lab
What does it mean to free of failure… To be free of the very anchor that gives life contrast. Even ideas that fail still succeed at opening conversations that would not be opened otherwise, It’s true, That failure realizes other lives, For life is meant to be lived, Not survived, So let failure run its course, Or let creativity die.
Artists: Victoria Yam, Arjun Mehta, Hrituparna Devmoni, Izzaty Binti Khalit, Torrey Gray
Lab designed and led by: Amy Garapic
THE AMAZING UNKNOWN
1B Virtual Lab
The Amazing Unknown welcomes the adventurous souls to explore our sound sculpture park, a virtual site where slowly you move towards nowhere.
Artists: Ivona Eterović, Ercan Bektaş Ülger, A.yoni Jeffries, Muhammad Dawjee, Tatiana Vanessa López Churata
Lab designed and led by: Luisa Puterman
Inside Out Interactive Map >
Tewdros Fantahun Addis Ababa Playlist
Sokhibjon Kurbanov Uchquduq Playlist
Mahima Dayal New Delhi Playlist
Lando Lavarra Havanna Playlist
Stacy Busch Kansas City Playlist
1B Virtual Lab
The Inside Out LAB invites participants to create music through visiting each other’s environment virtually. Each fellow shares and creates media from three spheres of location: Outside Environment; The Home; and The Body. As a result, the photos, videos and music are mapped together for users to explore and discover for themselves.
Artists: Sokhibjon Kurbanov, Tewdros Fantahun, Houssam Gania, Mahima Dayal, Stacy Busch, Lando Lavarra
Lab designed and led by: Anton Sergeev
CREATING AN ALMANAC
1B Virtual Lab
Our Almanac consists of the fruits of our time spent accumulating knowledge..odd, eccentric, both useless and useful nuggets deemed ‘points of interest’. We created a Mythical Almanac to guide your weeks, so that you may continue to ponder and wander in the ways our societies organize information. What do you deem worthy?
Artists: Dionysius Arya Nataraja, Marina Afares, Balkis Coraima Díaz Torres, Andrew Ryan, Goodluck Babatunde
Additional coding / synth design: James Bradbury
Lab designed and led by: Christopher Williams
Step into the pool of sonic fingerprints each fellow has created during the residency – hear and see how they combine in ever-changing relationships into a living corpus, a digital sonic rhizomatic forest. Welcome.
Designed by: Gideon Crevoshay
Site built by: Greg Chudzik
Telephenesis #35 – Alvarez, 6 players
Telephenesis #36 – Park, 5 players
Telephenesis #37 – Tokzhan, 6 players
Telephenesis is a space for musical collaboration inspired by the classic game ‘Telephone’. In a game of Telephenesis, a musical idea is passed through a group of artists. Each artist hears only the previous idea and creates a response. Anyone can start a new game.
Artists: David Josue Adan, Ercan Bektas Ulger, Balkis Coraima Diaz Torres, Goodluck Babatunde, A.yoni Jeffries, Lav Kovac, Gorbi, Ivona Eterovic, Muhammad Dawjee, Theo Nugraha, Pininga EPX, Sruti Sarathy, Stacy Busch, Christopher Marianetti
Telephenesis created by: Christopher Marianetti & Cameron Steele